> It leads me to wonder how libraries here decided to
> put lacemaking titles on
> their shelves, back in the 1980's .

My local library has a few lace books. Most of them
contain statements that they were donated to the
library by Robin & Russ Handweavers.  It's possible
that other libraries also received donated lace books
from various people.

I try to make a point of checking out the lace books
periodically, so they have a record of usage, since
I'm sure there's very few people using them right now.
 The local lacemakers have their own libraries at
home.  If the books show no usage, they will be
discarded.

When I was a beginner, I checked out these books, and
worked a pattern that I copied out of one.  I found I
could do it, and went on to later buy hundreds of lace
books (over a period of years).  Many authors earned
money from me that might not have happened without
that exposure through the library books.  Perhaps
library usage should be considered advertising.

On a slightly different subject, I have audiobooks
that carry a statement that they are not to be used by
lending libraries.  That company is trying to get
every listener to have to buy a copy in order to hear
the story.  Most of my audiobooks do not say that, and
I know my library has a large section of tapes or CD's
to check out.

I think I should put a library visit on my TO DO list.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- where spring rains just started again