I think PieceWork had a short article about Saba lace a while ago, but I don't
recall very many photos or close-ups of the work. The photos that Lacefairy has
on her site really look like Teneriffe.

http://lace.lacefairy.com/ID/Saba.html

If I were to hazard a guess at identifying Saba lace, I would say that the
drawnwork looks like a hybrid of Teneriffe/Sol/Nanduti and Mexican drawnwork.
Saba lace doesn't have the separately worked medallions that are characteristic
of a lot of Nanduti lace. It seems to be worked more in bands like Mexican
drawnwork but the bands are not as wide and elaborate as what I've seen in
Mexican work.

As for the stitches, one would expect overlap--there's a limit to the number of
ways one can wrap threads or needle-weave fillings.

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm only going by the photos on one site.

I just found some photos on the Saba tourism site. Saba lace seems to be mainly
used for inserts and edgings.

http://www.sabatourism.com/lacesamples2.html

Of course, that may reflect current fashion (lace collars aren't in style), but
it does appear that Nanduti/Teneriffe has more examples where the entire fabric
is made of lace, by whipping medallions together and working fillings in the
spaces. Teneriffe/Sol/Nanduti laces are worked on spokes formed by winding
thread around a stitched circle or around pins. Saba may be true drawnwork
(worked only on threads left after drawing out grounds threads, but I somehow
doubt it. Otherwise, you wouldn't see so many examples of white on colour.

I hope this makes sense. I'm trying to do this at work and the Web interface
isn't great.

Avital