Simon wrote.
<< I have just bought some raw wood bobbins from the USA, previously all my
bobbins have been bought in Australia, and have been plastic. Do I need to
seal these wooden bobbins with anything before spangling them? I wanted to
find out before starting in with the beads and wire, as spangling is not
something I enjoy enough to do twice, especially on about 4 dozen bobbins.>>

It depends on personal preference I think.

I have bought many beginners bobbins which come unpolished, and are cheaper to buy when you need a large number of bobbins. I have never polished or sealed these in anyway. As you work with them the natural oil from your hands will seep into the wood and they will get darker and smoother over time.

You could give them a coat of polyurethane varnish or something though it you prefer but this could raise the grain and they would then need sanding down and revarnishing a few times until the grain stops rising each time you varnish them and they become smooth. But varnishing them will alter the colour of the wood to some extent, even a clear colourless varnish will do this.

I would not put anything like teak oil or any other wood oil on them because that could come off on your hands and so stain the thread as you work.

If you dislike spangling then you can speed things up with your 4dozen. Do not cut short bits of wire for each bobbin, keep the coil of wire in tact and make a small loop at one end to stop things falling off as you go.

It depends where you prefer to make the join in your spangles, whether you like the cut ends of the wire to be on either side of the bottom bead or you like the cut wire ends to be on either side of the bobbin itself, everyone has their own way of spangling. Here below is how to spangle a large number of bobbins ending up with the wire ends ready to go either side of the bottom bead but you could alter the arrangement of beads to suit your own method of finishing off the wire.

Sort your beads into sets for each bobbin before you begin and it helps to speed things up when you come to spangle. Now put the Bottom bead onto the wire followed by a side bead or two and the little top bead then add the bobbin followed by the other little top bead and then the side beads.

Keep repeating this, in the same order, until the length of wire complete with beads and bobbins becomes unmanageable. When this happens cut the length of filled wire from the rest of the coil leaving about 4 inches or so free on the end of the threaded length of wire to give some leeway, the amount of free wire you leave when cutting from the main coil depends on how many bobbins you have threaded on, the more bobbins and beads the longer the free end of the wire needs to be as this part of the wire will gradually be used up in the finishing off.

Now go along separating one bobbin and it's beads from the next, move the complete spangle and bobbin to within an inch or so of the cut end of the wire and cut the wire in between the two spangles, close to the spangle you are going to finish off but leaving yourself enough wire to work with on the spangle to be completed. Now finish off the ends by passing the loose end of the wire back through the bottom bead, pulling the wire up tight to make a nice firm spangle, and wrapping both ends around the wire on either side of the bottom bead a few times. You might prefer to finish off in this way but with the wire on either side of the bobbin rather than the bottom bead so would need to change the order of threading beads and bobbin to suit.

Continue along the length of the wire until they are all done. You will get a little bit of wastage but just little snips of wire. The time saved, not to mention the frustration of fiddling with short bits of wire over 4doz.bobbins will be a bonus.

There are some drawings of how to finish off the wire in spangles on this page that I found on the net. http://www.bobbinmaker.com/spanglebobbins.html scroll down the page to see the various drawings. Any of these methods could be used to finish off the ends when spangling in the way I describe above you just need to thread the beads and bobbins in the right order so that you end up with everything in the right place for your selected method of finishing off the wire.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.