At 2:11 PM +1200 6/27/07, Sue Fink wrote:
I have found having an enlarged copy of the working diagram alongside me and sticking a pin in the diagram when I put one in the the lace works for me. I also mark the diagram with a different pin when I finish for the day or I can have difficulty finding my place again.

I use little pointed self-stick flags (a form of Post-It notes, available in US at Office Depot stores) to mark the pinholes I've made, and one labeled "Start" to remind me of where I'm to begin when I next pick up the project. Same idea, but I don't have to worry about the pins falling out when I pack up everything to take with me to lace groups.

And to answer Pene, who said:
The other reason is that I am not really interested in learning Flanders or Binche. I would rather explore the laces that I know. I love Milanese & I want to learn
more about this lace. Does anyone else feel the same way? Who said that you
have to learn every type of lace that was ever made?

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of sticking to the laces you love, but sometimes you don't know which ones you love until you do a bit of exploring. I've bounced around among several different laces now, and found that I absolutely do not enjoy working any of the numerous laces that require me to do sewings, the so-called noncontinuous laces -- so for me, I don't especially want to do Miilanese, or Withof, or Rosaline, or many of the other lovely laces that need to have sections joined to each other with sewings. I'd much rather have a pillow full of hundreds of bobbins just as long as I can work in a continuous line, so bring on the point ground laces, Bedfordshire, Binche, Mechlin, and others.

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many different types of laces for everyone to be able to find something that appeals to their style of working?

--
Mary, in Baltimore, MD