--- pene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've been commissioned by an American
> exchange teacher to
> make a metre long edging of lace for a blouse

How interesting!  I don't often hear reports of lace
being commissioned or sold.  It's nice that there's
still a few people in the world who value our labor.
Take a picture when you're done and let us see.

> I would rather explore the laces that I know. I love
> Milanese & I want to learn
> more about this lace. Does anyone else feel the same
> way? Who said that you
> have to learn every type of lace that was ever made?

There's no rule about that. We're blessed with the
ability to explore the many varieties of lace that
catch our interest.  I have tried many and have
enjoyed most of them.  I find that I keep coming back
to certain onesl, and others just sit on the shelf.
So explore your Milanese, and enjoy every minute of
it.

> ..., so instead of cutting it I cut a smaller
> section of foam "pool noodle". I'm
> using my English midland bobbins so I expect to get
> many comments from the
> Estonian lace-makers who are more familiar with the
> plain continental bobbins.

The pool noodle will serve very well 'for a while'.  I
found a roller pillow I bought had used that when I
took it apart.  I had made about 3-4 yards of narrow
lace, with lots of pinholes, and found a 'ditch' had
developed in the center.  Use different parts of the
roller for different projects, and it will last you
quite a while.  It's also easy change if you wear it
out. I replaced mine with wool fabric wrapped around
the center dowel.  It will now never wear out.

Let us know what the other lacemakers say about your
Midlands.   They do attract attention at demos.  Have
a great time.

Alice in Oregon -- sunshine, no rain today.