Dear Pene -- Indeed you don't "have to learn every type of lace!" Lacemaking, for us, is supposed to be (our kind of) fun. We aren't standing in front of the bar of Heaven, begging to be let in and brandishing our (Binche/Flanders/Paris) ticket of admission. Binche just happens to be currently the hot thing in fashion among lacemakers -- probably owing to the lucky upsurge of a couple of gifted teachers. You love Milanese? Stick to your Milanese!

Aurelia
in Baltimore, where it's hot, hot, hot and beautiful

 I am not really interested in learning Flanders or Binche.
I would rather explore the laces that I know.
 Does anyone else feel the same way? Who said that you
have to learn every type of lace that was ever made?