To: <lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 2:07 PM
Subject: [lace] Spiders

>although I wish I could afford to take a class to get some tricks on how >to do spiders, mine tend to >go pear shaped, raindrop shaped or lopsided >;-p

Tania (Denmark)

I enjoy working spiders and spider ground, and have therefore included a lot of them in my work. Over time I have found ways to make them look better. I hope that the following will help you.

I find that it is easier to keep spiders even, if you finish all the ground immediately around them before moving on to any of the rest of the ground. That is, work all the pinholes that their legs go into and then the "joining" pinhole at the bottom of the diamond before doing anything else.

Once you have worked the immediately surrounding pinholes, you should then pull on the pairs making up the spider's legs to make the spider look good and balanced. I find it helps to pull on the top right hand pair and the top left hand pair at the same time as each other, then the next pairs down each side until you have done them all. Then I usually go back to the top and start again. It takes a bit of fiddling, but is worth it to get a nice spider.

Sometimes I take out the central pin in the spider once the surrounding pins are in place, but before I do the tweaking of the pairs, as this has the effect of removing the bump in the middle of the spider which can sometimes appear around the central pin.

Sue Babbs