Robin wrote;

< By putting a pin at the
center, you can tension your pairs around it, which pushes the body
stitches upward against the twists of the legs.  If this doesn't do the
trick, then maybe you're putting too many twists on each leg before
reaching the body>

For plain whole stitch or half stitch spiders, as a general rule I twist the legs the same number of times as there are legs coming in from each side, so for a spider with 2 legs coming in from each side I twist twice, for three from each side twist 3 times and so on. Seems to work.

Doesn't apply for spider ground, when I always twist twice, or for other types of spider (such as spider with a hole, haloed spider), when I judge by appearance.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK