On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:33, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jacquie Tinch) wrote:

While on the subject of ink jet printers, and I expect that most (all) of you know this already, make sure that you use your printer at least every couple
of weeks.  Just a line or two is enough.

Hah! Mine (a Brother, which, at the time, was the only thing I could find that was even semi-compatible with a Mac OSX) didn't have running ink problems (though it didn't like *heat*). But...

It was a "self-cleaning" one. Every day, like a clock, it went through the routine of whatever it was it was doing to keep the ink flowing. Didn't help one whit, if I wanted to print something after a two week break. But it was the fact that, in all that self-cleaning it managed to use up *all* the black ink before I got a chance to print off a single page, that made me mad enough to stop throwing good money after bad and buy a laser printer/copier/scanner (HP) as my Christmas gift to myself. The cartridge in this one is now telling me it's nearly empty and the replacement (ordered a couple weeks ago and ready to install) is almost 3 times as expensive as the ink-jet replacement cartridge, but I've printed out close to 2000 pages on it and some of them were very heavy on ink consumption (lace books off Tess' Arizona U website as well as most of the machine's manual, and all the individual pics Devon had sent me of old laces).

And the images from the laser are far sharper than anything the ink-jet was ever able to produce. Even at 250% magnification -- the size I use to draw diagrams from -- the prickings are still "clean". Best money I've ever spent on a piece of machinery :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/