Hi Mark and everyone

I went to the Digital Archives of Documents Pertaining to Lace and searched
first for the 'Princess Lace Machine' (no joy) and then the 'Torchon Lace
Company' - (joy) and found a 64-page pdf document, which I couldn't open
because of my lowly dialup connection (which choked, and I had to restart a
few things to get back 'here' etc. etc. - oh well...).. the search notes did
tell me that the TLC operated as of 1901 through about a decade or so.

Go here to read the document, it is a paper entitled "American Lace" and
should be a useful read ;)

<http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/monographs/cmc_lace.pdf>
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/monographs/cmc_lace.pdf

I then looked at the section 'patents' and saw 'lace machines' - and found
this one

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/patents/SAMPLES/00745206.gif

Whether or not S. Lewis worked for the TLC bears further research. Your idea
that the Princess Lace Machine was offered the year of the World's Fair
makes sense to me, although I can't confirm. Maybe there is information in
the paper above.

HTH

Bev in Sooke BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)