On Oct 24, 2007, at 17:09, Carole Lassak wrote:

I'm doing an informal survey and would value your opinions. Would you purchase a pattern book on CD if the CD insert showed thumbnail photos of the finished lace?

Probably not, though thumbnail photos might make a difference.

If you had the choice of a printed pattern book--let's assume that it is not a hardbound volume--or a CD, which would you purchase?

A book, most definitely. I can read it -- with a flashlight or a candle -- even if the electricity goes out. And I can snuggle with it in bed, in full comfort. I already spend a lot of time sitting -- either at the pillow or at the 'puter -- and, since my backbone has never been in a great shape (due to childhood scoliosis), it objects, sometimes quite painfully. As do my eyes.

Like several others who'd responded, I get pattern books not so much because I plan to work the patterns, but to relax with, to glean some new techniques from the diagrams (oh, so *that* is how she's done it!) and to stimulate new ideas (if I were to move this there...) The computer screen doesn't offer me the same options.

If you opted for the CD, how would you use it--to print out the entire publication, or only those patterns that were of specific interest to you.

I probably shouldn't be answering this part, since I've already said I'd be unlikely to opt for for a CD over a book format but... I'd probably print out the whole shebang, because my tastes change over time and -- like Beth -- I might be worried that I'd be unable to print out the rest later on (always supposing I still remembered there was something else there). And, of course, a "book" printed out at home uses twice as much paper (it's usually, printed out on one side only) and is hard to manage, unless you invest in having it bound somehow. By the time you do, it'll cost more than buying a printed and bound book; you don't get a discount on binding a single copy.

I hate the electronic equipment which, nowadays, always comes with a manual on a CD. My -- otherwise beloved -- HP Color Laser Jet multi-function came that way. I printed out ca 200 pages of it (table of contents and, based on those, the pages which were most likely to be needed, like changing an ink cartridge) and hope it'll be enough until the machine dies. But, it's *not* convenient...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/