Dear Arachneans

I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of threads
deteriorating over time.  I was doing some mending last weekend with
some Sylko that I have had for some years.  It must be over 10 years old
because I bought it to make some lace to go round the edge of a scarf.
It was the biggest reel size they do and so I've still got some left,
hence I was using it for mending.

I know that cotton thread is easy to break, but my thread broke 3 times
in a very short time without me pulling it hard (or so I thought).  Is
it me getting more heavy handed, or was it a dodgy piece of thread, or
has it deteriorated over the years?  What do you think?  And does it
suggest that some of the 'heirlooms' we're making now won't stand the
test of time?

Alison in Essex UK