On 12/9/07 6:35 PM, Daphne Martin wrote:

She finally decided that sewing machines were not around
when our sister lacemakers made lace for a living. If
they had been I feel they would have used them.

They would have been too poor to afford them.

And the lacemakers didn't mount the lace -- they sold it.

So the question isn't what's authentic, but what does justice to one's lace. If you like the appearance
(as established on practice scraps), and if you can do it
without damaging the lace, go for it -- hand or machine.

To avoid cutting the threads of the lace, it might help to
use a "stretch" (ball-point) needle, and use a slightly-open
zig-zag.  Slightly-open is more secure anyhow; when you try
to lay threads exactly side-by-side, the holes punched into
the cloth come perilously close to overlapping.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/