Beth writes:

<<Some competitions allow a great deal of leeway to the judges, who  too
often allow unquestioned assumptions to support their judgement. There is
frequently no way for an entrant to know what those assumptions are before
entering!
 Before allowing this to happen, competition organizers really  need to state
their standards publicly, clearly, and well in advance of the  entry date --
even if they have to get the judges themselves to set them down in  writing
(such as in state fairs and the like, where the organizers want  competitions
in
areas of which they themselves aren't knowledgeable).

The bottom line is, people need to question their own assumptions before
judging someone else's work.  There is a big difference between "I really  love
seeing the works that are all hand-made, every stitch!" and, "It's so  obvious:
people entering this competition should already know that only  hand-made is
suitable, we shouldn't have to tell them *everything.*" The rules  should be
nit-pickingly clear, and publicly stated.  Then the burden is on  the entrants
to read the rules correctly, which is only fair!>>

This is an extremely good point. In my experience of judging, I have not
been given any kind of guidance by the fair. The previous judge, whom I helped
for many years, was a very "seat" of the pants kind of judge, applying "gut
feeling" type judgements. I have, in my possession, two different papers
written
 about lace judging and how it should be done, including a point system.
Every  year, I conscientiously reread them, but they disagree. I don't know
that I
 have ever seen a written out description of exactly how the lace in the
IOLI's  contest is judged. Is there one? I would think that it would be a
tremendous  help if those who were being judged knew what the judge was judging
them
on, ie,  they had a copy of the point system to refer to. Of course, it would
be helpful  to the judge, too.

Now that I am reading about how many people don't put things into
competition because they think that they will be rejected because of some
deficiency
that they or their friends perceive, but that might not be on the  judge's list
of criteria, I wonder if there wouldn't be more entrants if these  things were
made clearer, and even changed from time to time with "emerging
sensibilities".

In the US, the system is First, Second and Third place, ie. things are
judged against other entrants. In Europe, I understand, there can be many
Firsts
and Seconds, because the items are judged against an absolute standard.  This
has me thinking that criteria may be better defined for lace judging,  outside
the US. One problem I always encounter is, how do you compare a small  perfect
piece with a larger, imperfect piece. The person making the larger piece  has
more opportunities to make mistakes, so you are either inadvertently,
throwing a benefit to making small pieces, or you are factoring in a size
component
where big pieces get more leniency in workmanship.

Are there any other judges on the list? Do you have a system for judging?  If
you have been provided with a set of criteria by a fair or other
organization, could you send it to me?

Devon