In a message dated 12/12/2007 10:27:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Now,  weaver's knots are traditional, and, yeah, hand-made, too;  I've seen
the  fan, and you have to really hunt around to find a knot, so they're nearly
invisible as well.  What was the problem?  Who knows, really?   This judge
had clearly been taught/ decided that knots were somehow sloppy  workmanship,
so
sloppy that they outweighed just about every other  consideration displayed
in that contest's entries. And there was no way of  knowing ahead of time that
this tiny technique would weigh so heavily.   It really makes you wonder.  And
maybe not try again (although my friend  figured all this out and entered --
and won -- frequently after that).

Well, here is another problem with America... In certain traditions of  lace,
ie. Tonder, making knots is traditional. We have some old Tonder in the
museum, and there are definitely knots in it. However, in other lace
traditions,
one would run a thread along, instead. So, in the US, at least, we are
comparing  apples and oranges, a lot.

The point system that I usually use, would relegate the amount of points
that could be subtracted for knots to a small portion, which is the strength of

the point system. But a failing of the point system is that, for instance,  in
 allocating points for mounting, some things don't require mounting, so  do
you add all the points to the unmounted piece, or subtract them from the
total? How do you neutralize? Even within the point system, there is a category

for "overall visual impact" which puts the judge in the position of  "grossing
up" the points of something they just really like, regardless of the  more
objective criteria.

Sometimes, too, you may have a local teacher who feels very strongly  about
something, and the entrants are all following her instructional rules, but  the
judge, while recognizing that the entrant has absorbed the rules of the
local teacher very well, may not think the local teacher's opinion is correct.
Do
you accord the highest credit to the student who has best followed the local
teacher's rules, thus making them your own criteria, even when you disagree?
Does one run the risk of making the local entrants neurotic and depressed by
according more credit to those entrants who have taken classes outside the
local  area who have learned different, and in your opinion, better ways of
doing  things?

Devon