In a message dated 12/12/2007 11:31:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What may  not be challenging for someone who has been making lace for
ages may be a  massive challenge for a beginner. Unless you know the
level the maker is  at how can you tell whether it was much of a
challenge or  not?

The one thing that the fair insists on is that the name of the person be
hidden, so that you are not influenced by knowing that information. But, I
guess
what I mean is that, since you are judging many pieces of lace by many people
 against each other, rather than assessing whether a piece is a personal best
for  the individual who has made it, how much credit should someone get for
choosing  a more challenging, in a universal sense, piece of lace. The Dianna
Stevens  scale includes 10 points for complexity of the piece. So you might
pick up some  points for complexity while losing some for workmanship.

Of course, one variation that has occurred in our contest is that the local
group has devised a bunch of special categories, like "best piece for persons
making lace for less than a year" so that the same people don't win all the
prizes. I think this is an excellent idea. It encourages more people to  enter.

Devon