Tamara wrote:
So here goes a question: What do you call a ground which is constructed
as follows:

Whole Stitch (CTCT, or TCTC), Pin, Whole Stitch...

And Bev replied:
I call it CTCT, pin, CTCT ground  ...   ;)\

I'm with Bev. And I've had at least one teacher who also describes her patterns with C and T rather than defining stitches.

I don't see any need to describe lace using stitches. In my mind, I see lace as a textile constructed from a series of Cs and Ts in a variety of orders, and I see half stitch, Dieppe stitch and all the other stitches as artificial labels for a defined series of movements.

If the meaning of these labels has become confused, as so many people suggest, than you can either describe the pattern by breaking it down to Cs and Ts, or if you're colour-coding a diagram, you can add a legend that says what series of moves a particular colour refers to. Then everything is clear, no matter where you grew up or what book you read.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)