Bev wrote

<<I googled "Brilliana Lady Harley" and her dates are c. 1600 - 1643. Does
that help identify the sort of lace she might wear - if she wore it? The one
google image I found of her shows a painting of her in a sleeved dress with
low neck, no lace - she has what could be pearls around her neck.
Perhaps Wardrobe didn't know about the Puritan aspect either (whether lace
was acceptable or not).>>

HI Bev.

No the dates don't really help but it could not have been Bedfordshire lace, I don't think, because from what I have read in books on the history of lace making in England the lacemakers in the East Midlands Area, Beds. Bucks & Northants, only turned to making a version of the Cluny type of lace in the 1800s when the market for hand made lace was being overrun by the machine made variety. They would have been making Bucks Point type of lace up to then but turned to the Cluny type of lace because it was quicker to produce. The thread not being as fine and no net ground to make, instead thicker thread and plaits and picots filling the ground. I could be wrong but I think this was how Bedfordshire lace came about.

So lady Harley could not have worn Beds Lace but may have inherited some lace of the same type that came from France I am not sure when lace such as Cluny types came into being in France, but I doubt she would have dared to wear it during the Civil War her husband was in the parliament and I doubt he would have allowed his wife to wear a collar that smacked of being a Royalist, it would be a dangerous thing to do.

When it came to Lady Harley portrayed on TV, I think it was just the costume people involved in making the programme, Blood on our Hands, making an error in the costume of Lady Harley. I just get annoyed when such errors are made when a programme is supposed to be accuartely protraying what went on. It's just me getting niggly with programme makers who don't get it right. My husband is an amatuer Military Historian and knows a lot about uniforms worn at different periods in history by armies of the world. He too gets annoyed when a programme protrays a certain regiment in the wrong uniform, or have the wrong sort of weapons, as often happens. Why don't they do their research properly?

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.