Devon wrote:

<Perhaps Janice could head a committee for the IOLI on the subject  of
Publicity. I notice that the Lace Guild in England is looking for a
  Publicity Officer, but I don't think we have such a post.

I for one, would like to know how she contacted the TV station and made
  this happen, since ideally, it would be good if it happened before every
 IOLI  Convention.>

I wouldn't want the job of Publicity for anything, but I can pass on that I
was asked by a member of Land of Lincoln Lacemakers if I would be interested
in doing the piece.  Her DH works at the ABC tv station.  Harry Porterfield
does these pieces twice a week for 10 years, and is always looking for
interesting people to show.  I suggest that where the conventions are taking
place, if their local tv station has a similar tv interviewer, the host guild
could write to ask if the station would like to showcase the lacemaking. I
asked
Harry, at least three times if I could mention our convention.  I spoke at
length
about it, but it still landed on the cutting room floor.  I was thankful that
the anchorman did mention the convention and put the link on their website.

I would like to get a similar piece done in the Rockford area closer to
convention to advertise that we will be open to the public for sales and
viewing the lace display.  Anyone not taking a tour or Wednesday class will be
encouraged to make lace in a public space at the hotel.
Janice

p.s. Devon did a nice job of advertising when the convention was in Maryland.

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/
www.landoflincolnlacemakers.com  Check for class spaces, many are full.