Part of my love of lacemaking is that it is a form of weaving that can be
done in a small appartment. I still have some small looms, including a
folding one patented in Scarborough, Ontario Canada in the 1920's. That
one is too odd and wonderful to part with. Its also my first ...

I've knitted and crocheted (we have more than enough afghans) but beadwork
and costume making were my passions during my dance career (another life,
long long ago). Turning a piece of heavy canvas into a sparkling beaded
brocade for stage is really wonderful and satisfying. But it is also
expensive, time consuming, and no longer a reasonable source of income. I
still bead, but it too is difficult to do with 4 young cats in the
house... later when they are older and, I hope, blase ...

Sewing, especially hand sewing historical costumes, is what I am now doing
the most. And the lace I am now making is for those costumes: New France
(17thc) and ByTown Days (1850-1870). The historical research is as much
fun as the constuction.

I'm fascinated by embroidery but don't seem to ever do any. I just look
and the pretty pictures and dream.

When I was 16, I had this fantasy of owning one of the small abandoned
railway stations in the Ottawa Valley and converting it into my weaver's
studio with living loft. That too was a long time ago, but I still dream
about it.

Lucie DuFresne
Ottawa, Canada