On Apr 27, 2008, at 14:37, Jane Nelson wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with the particular piece, but.

If that is so, there is a lot of thread that builds up on that pin.

True, 14 times around the same pin *is* a lot of times: I don't think I've ever tackled more than 8x, outside of Rosalibre. Depending on the number of pairs involved in the turn, I'd probably be tempted to do a scroll turn instead, or a combination of a partial scroll, followed by a less-loaded pivot, followed by another partial scroll. But Bev's right -- it's all likely to compress enough to be inoffensive, visually.

So, at what point do I pull the pin?

For best tension, I'd suggest pulling out and replacing the pivot pin after every "un-engaged" (over/under) pass, but *only after the worker pair is secured* at the opposite edge.

And will all that thread flatten out?

Mostly. If you pile too many passes on the pin before removing it, tensioning (both the worker pair and the "idle" inner passive) and replacing the pin... the loops are likely to end up being of an uneven length (the shortest one at the bottom and the longest at the top of the pile, with the difference in length of the loop being bigger, if the thread is coarse). It is then up to your own personality as to how much it'll bother you, long run. Bugs me no end in the one Rosalibre piece which does that (and you *can't* fiddle with the turn, because all possible fiddles are already included <g>), but then I'm "anal" about some things. If there's *no* other option -- however much more cumbersome/time consuming -- then I do my best to pretend it hadn't happened :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/