Little balls of Venus will mean the crochet cotton 70 - it comes wound in balls the same size as DMC Special Dentelles (tatting cotton). It's a little bit thicker than Special Dentelles but generally the two are interchangeable. Venus colours are brighter and more vivid than the DMC, but I have heard people say that the very brightest colours can sometimes rub off onto the cover cloth or whatever, but I personally haven't experienced that. I'm not sure where it originates, somewhere in Asia, but here in UK the price of Venus is about half that of Special Dentelles.

http://www.venus-europe.com/about.php

Brenda

I am starting a piece of Torchon drawn by Genevieve
Leplat-Greiner but she calls for a type of thread that I am not familiar
with. [...] The thread is " 2 little balls Venus"  If Venus is not
available maybe there is a substitute you could suggest.

Venus is a cotton thread. I've never seen, much less used it, so don't know what comes on a "small ball". Brenda Paternoster's book (Threads for Lace) has three varieties of Venus thread listed:

1) Venus crochet cotton 70, which is a 6-ply (2S/3Z) "cord" and clocks at 27wraps per centimetre. Its equivalents are many, but the most common include: Fresia (linen) 70/2; Peellava (Finnish linen, used by Kortelahti) 90/3; Presencia Fica Bolillos (cotton) 30; Gutermann (silk) 100/3. DMC Cordonnet 70 is just *slightly* finer, at 28 wpc.

2) Venus Perle 8, 2S, 15wpc. Equivalents (again, many more than I'm listing): DMC Cordonnet 5; Coats Aida 10; Coats mercerised Crochet 10. Slightly finer (16wpc): Anchor pearl Cotton 8.

3) Venus Perle 12; 2S, 19wpc. Some equivalents: Fresia (linen) 30/2; Presencia Finca Bolillos 20; Tire (silk) Quilters 20. Slightly finer (20wpc): DMC Cebelia 30; DMC Cordonnet 30; Altin Basak (Turkish cotton, often used for tatting) 50.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/