I have always been in awe of the inventors of these fantastic machines, (and
the machines and robots of our present industries).  I often wonder what the
thought processes were that led them to the final result.
We must also remember that it wasn't just men who invented these machines.  It
was a woman that invented the circular saw used in saw mills on logs, and I
have heard it was really a woman that thought up/invented the cotton gin (but
Eli Whitney got the patent, women couldn't).

Lorri
who always wants to see how it works!

  there is another aspect. The men inventing these machines with wich it
  was possible to make first only the net and later laces of different
  types, were proud about their intlectual work. And those group of
  people no able to buy more laces than before admired it. By the way
  first those machine made laces weren't socheap. Also the falling down
  of  "those cloths regulations" the becoming more self-assurance/
  confidence of the bourgeoisie all those things together changed the
  things. It was ctastrofical for the lacemakers but it help the mankind
  to become free. There are always two sides ot a medallion.
  Lacemaking is social history.
  And if you ever see the machine made laces in the museum in Le Puy and
  don't could believe that machines (the inventing brain of men) were
  able to do so. Than you can't help you find it fascinating.

  Ilske