Just back from Portugal, and visited both Via do Conde and Peniche.
Unfortunately the school in Via do Conde was closed on the Saturday that I
went, but the handicrafts shop around the corner had lots of lace and
lacemaking equipment. Picked up some nice pieces and also a huge Portugese
bolster pillow with the tubular hollow center, bobbins, a beautiful wooden
floor stand for the pillow, and a book on Via do Conde lace (excellent
glossary with Portugese lacemaking terms). It was an adventure getting the
pillow through customs on the way back, but at least saved the shipping costs.
The center in Peniche was open with about 10 women working when I visited. Got
lots of photos and some really beautiful pieces.  There's a wonderful lace
that I was told was a typical Peniche type - sort of a Torchon/Cluny combined,
lots of small tallies. The square piece I bought took 2 months to complete,
and it was my great honor to be able to pay the maker directly. The center
also had a book specifically on Peniche lace, again with patterns.  I was
really impressed with the quality of work that they were doing, and also with
the amount of contemporary designs for sale. They also had some great large
Torchon-type pieces made with very fine thread.
Both these seaside towns are very beautiful - wouldn't mind staying in either
for a few days.
All of this will go into my lace exhibition, which is now scheduled to open in
Los Alamos July 5th.
Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions of where to visit in Portugal!
Laurie