Dear Arachnians,
One solution I use to see my work more clearly is to wear more glasses! I wear contact lenses usually because I am very short-sighted, but with my lenses in I need reading glasses as well for close work. I buy various strengths of cheapo glasses and just add another pair if I can't see clearly enough with one. I have been known to wear up to three pairs at once when dealing with a difficult sewing or undoing a knot. It works for me!
Libby in wet and cold Shrewsbury UK. Have we had summer?