As soon as my Lace R-XP disc arrived yesterday morning I installed it and started playing with it. Here's what's happened so far.

Opened a design from Lace 2000 in Lace -R-XP. No problem. There are no threads already installed, but there is a list to choose from with wraps (thanks Brenda) and you get to choose the size of the grid for that thread. Tried to choose a thread. Got a message to say the program had encountered a problem and had to shut down. Tried again. Same thing happened. Restarted the program and chose a thread. No problem. Opened a Lace 2000 design. No problem. Tried to add another thread. No problem. So it seems (at least on my computer) that one thread (any thread) needs to selected before a design is opened - and presumably before a design is started.

Save the design as a Lace R-XP file and exporting to both PDF and EPS all worked OK.

Opened PDF file - line quality not that good on screen, but haven't tried printing to see if it's better printed because I use a laptop and am currently working in the living room and my printer is in the bedroom.

Tried opening an EPS file in Word 97. Got 399 pages of letters and numbers. Inserted the EPS file as a picture in Word - wonderful!

Opened the EPS file in Adobe Photoshop Elements. Took forever, and the result was faint. Started a new A4 document and used the 'Place' command on the 'File' menu of Elements. Very quick, but the same faintness. So, being impatient, 'Place' is obviously the way to go. The lines were good quality even though faint, and I'll play another time with enhancing the contrast. Thickened the lines to 5 and exported to EPS. 'Placed' in Photoshop Elements. Same faintness, but lines again good quality. Haven't tried printing from Elements yet either, but did save the image successfully as a .JPG file.

So far I'm a very happy bunny with the improvements to Lace 2000, which I loved anyway.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK