Hi Jean,
Thanks for posting.  My Lace R-XP should be on its way now. Please keep posting
your experiences so that I can learn from you.  Just showing my computer
ignorance,
what is an EPS file?  Is that what I need to use to export to Word?I am sure
Ruth
will chip in with any advice we need.  I missed reading about her R-XP book but
am sure Lacy Susan will carry it at convention.
Janice

<As soon as my Lace R-XP disc arrived yesterday morning I installed it
 and started playing with it. Here's what's happened so far.

Opened a design from Lace 2000 in Lace -R-XP. No problem. There are no
threads already installed, but there is a list to choose from with
 wraps (thanks Brenda) and you get to choose the size of the grid for that
 thread. Tried to choose a thread. Got a message to say the program had
 encountered a problem and had to shut down. Tried again. Same thing happened.
 Restarted the program and chose a thread. No problem. Opened a Lace 2000
design.
 No problem. Tried to add another thread. No problem. So it seems (at least
 on my computer) that one thread (any thread)  needs to selected before a
 design is opened - and presumably before a design is started.

Save the design as a Lace R-XP file and exporting to both PDF and EPS
 all worked OK.

Opened PDF file - line quality not that good on screen, but haven't
 tried  printing to see if it's better printed because I use a laptop and am
currently working in the living room and my printer is in the bedroom.

Tried opening an EPS file in Word 97. Got 399 pages of letters and
 numbers.
Inserted the EPS file as a picture in Word - wonderful!

Opened the EPS file in Adobe Photoshop Elements. Took forever, and the
result was faint. Started a new A4 document and used the 'Place'
 command on the 'File' menu of Elements. Very quick, but the same faintness. So,
 being impatient, 'Place' is obviously the way to go. The lines were good
 quality even though faint, and I'll play another time with enhancing the
 contrast. Thickened the lines to 5 and exported to EPS. 'Placed' in Photoshop
Elements. Same faintness, but lines again good quality. Haven't tried
printing from Elements yet either, but did save the image successfully
 as a .JPG file.

So far I'm a very happy bunny with the improvements to Lace 2000, which
 I loved anyway.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/
www.landoflincolnlacemakers.com  Check for class spaces, many are full.