Hello Mark

I'm wondering if the "bobbin" was actually a tool for making 'Proddie rugs" where scraps of fabric were pushed between the threads of a piece coarse canvas or sacking to make a thick floor covering.

Brenda

At the home of James Madison, Montpelier, outside of the museum was a
display of some home objects. I asked if I can take a picture of these and
YES I could.  In this case was a curious object that was sort of
recognizable, but strange. Below are the three pics I took for your review:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z43/tatmantats/lace/ antiquebobbin1.jpg http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z43/tatmantats/lace/ antiquebobbin2.jpg http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z43/tatmantats/lace/ antiquebobbin3.jpg

At the top of the neck is a double notch cut at an angle(like a double hook
for crochet?) and at the bottom tip which has been deteriorating from
weather conditions is a small hole. They report this being a bobbin for
lacemaking.  IS IT???  This item was just excavated and they apparently
placed it in a case of mishmash items just for interest.  I did get the
contact info to send my opinion of the piece, and told the curator my
questions about it. They were happy that I would do my research and notify you knowledgeable lacemakers so I could get back with them as to what the item really is. If it is a bobbin, then I told them I wouldn't contact them and leave it be. But if it wasn't a bobbin, then I would contact them with
my findings.

If anyone is fortunate enough to visit(or lives close by)
Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown, VA and also Mt. Vernon and Montpelier and the museums and to check out the tatting kits, and the questionable tatting shuttles, knotting shuttles, and the bobbin in question, I would really like to know your opinion about the representation of lace and its tools in the
time of our fore fathers that started this country back from 1608 and
beyond.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html