Here's another couple of links.... one for a prodder (bradawl) and the other showing a rug being made.

http://www.iriss.co.uk/Tools1.htm
http://www.wwmm.org/storie/storia.asp?id_storia=216&pagina=14&project=0

Sue in EY
On 17 Jul 2008, at 00:53, bevw wrote:

Have not heard the term proddie or clippie rug, in North America we have hooked rugs from colonial times (though how far back, I don't know), sometimes made of wool yarn hooked in to the canvas (and yes, it is from sacking or what we call burlap bags), sometimes of rags torn in strips (this rug-hooking is seeing a hobby revival). The tool in question does resemble a lace bobbin but as others have pointed out , there should be many more of it to confirm this fact. I think it is a one-of and with the hole in the end, looks to me more like a purpose-made device, perhap as a large sewing needle to sew long leather cords where needed. We were resourceful back then - if we needed a tool to do a job we would make one.

If the museum has done its research, there will be documentation to back up the claim that it is a bobbin for making lace, or the placard should state 'bobbin-questionmark'.