According to Wikipedia, below the description of (h)umble pie.

Does not sound very attractive, but then I did say ...

The expression derives from *umble pie*, which was a pie <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie> filled with liver <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver>, heart <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart> and other offal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offal>, especially of cow <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow> but often deer <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer> or boar <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar>. *Umble* evolved from *numble*, (after the French <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language> *nomble*) meaning 'deer's innards'. <http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry?id=2995> Umbles were considered inferior food, in medieval <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval> times the pie was often served to lower-class people.

Although "umbles" and the modern word "humble" are etymologically unrelated, each word has appeared both with and without the initial "h" after the Middle Ages until the 19th century. Since the sound "h" is often dropped in many dialects, and "umble" was a humble meal anyway, the phrase was rebracketed <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juncture_loss> as "humble pie". While "umble" is now gone from the language, the phrase remains, carrying the fossilized word as an idiom <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom>.

I'll get the lace edging done in my way, whichever one that's going to be, and make the pin cushion to fit the edging, rather than the other way around.
Jane Partridge has been very helpful with suggestions, as have some others.

Agnes Boddington

   Sue Duckles wrote:

Agnes, Maureen may think you're mad.... we know it!! Now the thing is... if you get more blocks how are you going to attach them to the pillow??

Wonder what humble pie tastes like....