In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
Do you know what school she attended? I am wondering if it was the one that
Gertrude Whiting attended where she learned to make lace. I believe it was
called, the Institut Professional Neuchatelois de Dentelles. I know of another
lace maker  and teacher, who taught here in New York, who also attended this
school and am  beginning to want to know more about it.

There is a book, I think written in French, which I was able to borrow from The Lace Guild's library. I can't lay my hand on the title at the moment, but I tracked it down after googling the name of the school.

A while back I was given a book of samples done for the first section of the certificate, successfully worked by Norah Crooke in 1911. I took it with me to our lace day in 2006 because I felt other lacemakers should have the opportunity to see the lace. Unfortunately, as the pieces are pinned to the pages, not stitched, (I have decided to leave it as it is; there is no rust on the pins) during the day one of the samples was stolen - and I feel this was my fault for letting the book out of my sight. The experience so shook my trust in fellow lacemakers that it was the major reason (apart from the fact that there were not sufficient people prepared to arrive early enough to help prepare the room etc., on the day, I don't know what I would have done without the help of my husband and one of our male, non-lacemaking friends!) that after 2007's lace day (which was already planned and booked) I have not wanted to organise another one. (That said, I don't think I could have coped with the workload of lace day organisation for this year whilst dealing with my parents' Estates.)

Anyway, from what I remember, the school was opened around 1905, by a Mexican taught lacemaker. Hence all of the students worked on Spanish type (upright) pillows. The principal died in 1914, and the school was continued by her son until it finally closed somewhere around 1930 (I'm going on memory here!). There were two halves of the course, one to learn the lace, the other to become proficient enough to teach. If you get hold of the book, some of the photographs (including the syllabus) are of work identical to the pieces Norah worked. There are, in the folder, several prickings - these are on card which is very thick and would have been a nightmare to prick (one person I showed it to thought they would have needed a drill!). I did attempt to find out a bit more about the lacemaker, as her name is more English than Swiss, but didn't get very far. The samples include pieces that are worked in two colours (white and green).
--
Jane Partridge