Not to be argumentative, but ...

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Well, this is kinda my point. Midlands without spangles are rather light,
> compared to continentals with significant bulges at their bottoms. Hence the
> need for spangles on the Midlands.
But your point misses my point.  *If* the spangles were needed for weight (in
the period when people were doing this on a cottage industry level) then
conversely when making the light weight laces we would see the use of
unspangled Midlands.  I am assuming that Downton, Honiton, etc. are not
unspangled Midlands in effect -- but I might have to say "I see your point" if
you raise that issue.  Nonetheless, I've used Midlands with very fine threads
-- 140 at least -- with absolutely no problem. I actually do only fine thread
lace, so that is significant amount of experience.

> I have had fine threads break with spangled Midlands (not often, because I
> don't
> do much fine-thread lace). And I have had cases where the thread was "too
> big"
> or "too strong" for Midlands that I hadn't yet spangled. Yes, my hands are
> necessary for the details, but gravity *keeps* tension on the thread that
> does
> affect the lacemaking. Not enough tension and the hitches keep popping off
> and
> the thread (even when the hitch is still on) comes loose around the shaft.
> Too
> much tension and the threads start getting stressed.

I don't find that gravity is an element in keeping threads tensioned.  Many if
not most lacemakers today use some form of cookie pillow (that includes block
pillows) so the bobbins pretty much lay without tension.  I actually have more
problems with hitches unhitching on the necks of the Midlands -- I often need
to use a double hitch.
I think your argument holds much more water when we think of the old big
bolster pillows that were used in England.  But more than keeping threads
tensioned, I think the weight would make the bobbins hang in such a way that
tangling would be reduced somewhat.  But that is something I just thought of,
and I have next to no experience on a bolster pillow.

> I'm not arguing against Carolyn's theory for why Midlands bobbins are
> spangled--her theory is reasonable (although I'm allowed to prefer my
> own)--but
> arguing against some of her explanation.
I think it would be very interesting if the chronological development of
spangles could be traced.  If the carving came first, and then as/after the
bobbins thinned out we could see the spangles being added, I might be more
inclined to think weight was the thing.  Guess I am arguing against your
theory, Robin, but what an intersting conversation it has been.
Best,
Carolyn