Dear Arachnids

Another thought about bobbins.  I taught a Valenciennes workshop.  One lady
was an experienced lace teacher maker and one lady had only been making lace
for 6 months. Both regularly used Midlands bobbins but for the workshop the
teacher used Rosaline bobbin (the smaller, lighter Continental bobbins) and
the new lacemaker her usual ones.  Guess who produced the most even ground by
the end of the first day? The new lacemaker. To me this show that you work
best with whichever you are most comfortable and used to. Don't be too
influenced by what is 'correct' or what someone else says you 'should' do. Try
them all and choose for yourself. If anyone argues with you just say it's how
you like making the lace and that you prefer using those particular bobbins.
However, bobbins and pillows developed alongside each other and I have found
that putting bobbins with pillows that have a different curvature from the one
the bobbins developed with can cause problems.