Hi Bev, and everyone else.

ONLY six inches?????  I'm looking out my window at about 20" on top of the VW
bus.  The snow pile on top is about twice the height of the bus windows.  I
shoveled a path to my car this morning and had to remove about 14 inches from
the sidewalk I had cleared yesterday.  Of course a bunch of that was drifted
snow, but we had about 8 inches of new snow yesterday.....and it's still
snowing.  They predict snow for the next three days, also.  I've never seen
snow like this in this town before.  We're under 200 feet in lattitude.

DH tried to go to his Monday volunteer job but got only about 10 feet before
the car got stuck.  He tried to get the car unstuck for 15 minutes before
giving up.  Of course, he wouldn't listen to me before he tried it.  I wanted
to clear a path through the drift to the center of the road where the snow was
packed down.  The snow was higher than the clearance under the car and it just
turned into a snowplow without a blade.  It just doesn't well work that way, he
found out the hard way.  When he finally called the museum, no volunteers had
made it.  (They usually have about 10 a day.)  I would guess that there would
be no visitors, either, so no problem.  But now I have a husband under foot on
a day I usually have to myself.

We have more snow but less ice than Portland has.  And we will thaw out first
when the winds shift to the south.  Christmas is supposed to get above freezing
but no real warming until next Saturday.  Portland is a real mess....even
snowplows are getting stuck.  The freeway East is closed, and has been closed
for a day.  Planes, trains, and busses are cancelled.  People are stranded who
wanted to go somewhere for Chirstmas.

I expect to stay home the majority of the time through Christmas.  I have
plenty of food and things to do.  DH will go stir crazy by then, especially if
the computer/phone line goes out again like it did last week in the first snow
storm.  However, I am prefectly happy to work on my many projects or bake
things or read.  Got plenty of wine, also. <G>   Hmmm....maybe I should start a
pot of beans.  DH would like that.

And that brings me to projects.  I lost track of the number of ornaments I made
this fall..something like 10 or 12 I think.  Last week I realized I needed one
and had given my extras to my SIL, so I quickly made another...getting it done
and starched just in time for an ornament exchange party.

I also finished two srtips of lace, one with beads, to put around Christmas
balls.  These were started in an ornament class last month.  I pinned them on
the balls instead of using glue, with a tiny bead under the head of each pin.

  Now I'm determined to finish the 3 yards of lace on my travel pillow.  I have
about 12 inches to go.  I should have it done in another day or two.  It's a
double wide strip of a very old pattern called Margeritte.  It's not in any
book, and I only have an old photocopy of a sample of it, so it's been worked
on top of a picture of the lace rather than a pricking.

I've already chosen a guipure edging to put on the travel pillow but haven't
searched out the thread yet.  Setting it up and winding all the bobbins will
take a few days -- a good project while being snowed in.

Next I will work on a shawl project and a scarf.   The shawl is over half
done....in turquoise silk yarn with butterfly motifs.  Then a scarf started in
a class last summer needs finished.  I have thread kits for 2 or 3 more scarves
so I need to be looking at patterns to use on them.

There's also a black lappet that is 3/4 done but may be held back for
demos next spring.  It's a smaller pillow and easy to transport.  The
lappet pattern came from the OIDFA Congress booklet from Prague.

There's a Rosa Libre butterfly that's half finished.  It's been waiting so long
that I have to get out the book to get the instructions.  Then there's a
Flanders project that I started at regional conference when I got sick and
missed most of the classes.  I think the threads all got attached on the first
row, but very little else got done.

If I search through the pillows on my pillow rack, I may find something else
that I've forgotten about.  It's like a treasure hunt to search out projects
that got set back for one reason or another.

One pillow I was using was such a pain (had empty spaces in the filling) that I
dismantled it when the project was done, and threw away the bad filling.  I
have an old thick wool blanket to cut in circles to replace the filling.  It
will be a great pillow when I'm done.    There's lots of things related to lace
that I can do this winter.

If you are still with me this far into this long message, have a Great
Christmas!

Alice in Oregon -- cold, cold, snowy northern Oregon