Good luck with your Incy Wincy Spider, Nancy

Support pins are pins set back a little way from the first row of stitches -
you hang the pairs on support pins while you work the first pinhole(s) using
those pairs, then take the support pins out and tension gently to get the
threads neatly round the first "real" pins in the lace.

How obvious it is where you need to add the pairs depends on the type of lace
and the shape of the piece you're making (I haven't seen Incy Wincy Spider). A
lot of torchon patterns start along either a single diagonal line or an
inverted V shape - for those, as you move out/down from the start point you
just add another pair at each pinhole (it's pretty obvious because you need
the new pair to make the stitch round the pinhole).

Hope that helps a little - if you've worked a similar shape/type lace before,
have a look at the starting instructions from that and see if you can use
those to help you identify where/how you need to bring in pairs for your new
piece.

It's always daunting starting your first new piece without instructions, but
you'll learn loads from doing it.

Beth
In comparatively mild Cheshire, NW England, finding excuses not to get on
with present-wrapping, mince-pie making and so on.