By chance I recorded  last week's episode of Victorian Farm on BBC TV.  The
farm wife was milking a cow and there was a really good close-up of the lacy
tails of her cap.  I replayed this in slow motion, stopped it and was able to
see that the lacy tails were an example of Barmen Lace.  I am 99 percent sure
of this.  It would have been the correct type of machine lace for her to wear,
as it was comparatively inexpensive.

Last night I watched the final episode of Victorian Farm and was very pleased
to see that my good friend Anne Dyer was demonstrating straw plaiting.  Anne
is the founder of Westhope Craft College, which is siutated not far from the
Acton Scott Farm used for the TV series.  Westhope College is where I both
teach and study.  I took my City and Guilds Creative Computing there, and
teach occasional classes  in embroidery and patchwork, as well as taking items
from my Collection for the City and Guilds Lace and Embroidery students.

Anne did extremely well, showing the farm wife how to make a straw hat from
flait plaited straw, coiled round and sewn into place.  This has been a
fascinating series portraying 19th century farm life, and I only hope they
repeat it.

Angela, where the winer snow is fast melting and snowdrops are blooming