Like th eothers I think that this is more torchon than Cluny and that it's more likely to be linen than cotton.

If "just over 3 stitches per inch" means that there are just over 3 pinholes per inch - along the footside then it's a spacing of just less than 1/3 inch or 8mm between the pins. The optimum thread size for that grid is, as Tamara says 15 wraps/cm.

However, as we don't know how old the lace is it would be wrong to suggest that it's made from something currently available; there was a lot of Knox's linen used in the past. Three twists in the working doesn't make the thread 3 ply. Mark, is it 2 ply or 3 ply?

Brenda