Hello Mark

No, I don't think it's handspun, but I do think it's linen.

I can see that it's S twist, which is what I'd expect a linen thread to be, along with variations in thickness. The two linens which fit the description are Knox's Floss 20 or Knox's Falcon 25, both of which measured 2S/16. Falcon is the more likely since it was on a reel and Floss was skeins.

However, I couldn't tell you for sure even if I had it in my hand.

Shame about the cigarette smoke smell - that is probably adding to the colour too, it will probably come up much whiter if you choose to wash it.

Brenda