Ah, yes, Gentle Spiders, We often meet the "uninitiated" while
demonstrating.  The only time I demonstrate at "craft shows" is when the
sponsorer is a friend or it is held at a historic site or home. I was
just off the Blue Ridge Parkway at Cockram's Mill, a historic site that
is deep on top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, a few years ago when this
wide-eyed farm girl about 18 years old said, "Goollly!  I bet you'd git
five dollar a yard fer that stuff!"  I happily replied, " 'bout that" and
keep on lacing with a smile on my face. Since I was "raised" in that area
and understand "my people," I am well-aware that she meant her comment to
be the ultimate compliment, and I responded in kind.  I love it! Another
time at the Reynolds Homestead in Patrick County, at the foot of the Blue
Ridge Mountains, I was working on a handkerchief edging.  It was a lovely
Bucks Point, and this gentle farmer said his daughter was getting married
and he'd sure like for me to make a handkerchief like that to give her
for her wedding.  "When is she getting married," I asked. "May 9th." he
replied. That was 2 weeks away!  He was so sweet kind in his bib overalls
that had the edging been nearly finished, I swear I would have put it on
a handkerchief in the next week and sent it to him gratis... Happy
Lacemaking,B.A.