Hello Fancis

I have a great love of Sanquhar (and also Selbuvotter, which is less 3 ply specific).

it sound very Nordic or Irisch or does it make part of some other ancient knitting slang?????
it even sounds to me like part a figure from "lords of the ring"
Selbuvotter is the Norwegian two colour star knitting patterns. Sanquhar is similar from Scotland.

as far as they recollect they only have uesed Nm and in the old days they had 3 other numbers but then one of the region of limoges france told me that even that is a very very long time ago
"Worsted" numbers
Dewsbury numbers which are for the very thick counts
and the woolen numbers

I have a little booklet from The Handweavers Studio which explains the old numbers - well actually I have two copies, one with my notes scribbled on it and one in good condition! I will put that in the post to you tomorrow.

Brenda

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html