I knew as soon as I had sent this that I had missed some vital information, sorry folks, <g> The edge I am currently putting together on the design program is about one inch wide and I want the hanky for a bride, but also to be able to do the baby bonnet fold at some time in the future. I think this is such a lovely way of using a treasured item. I have seen these on sites before but cannot remember the size of the fabric the lace is on and cant remember which sites either. Mind you the current edging isn't lighting up anything, so I will do some more work before I make the lace. Our daughter is to remarry, and there wont be any children, but her new partners family are older and one has recently had a baby (Janice this is what I used your cute rocking horse for), so she will be able to use the hanky/bonnet for any future grandchildren within the family and to pass on into the family which will be nice. I also want to make hankies for my 2 nieces, before they start naming their special day. I will continue to looking at edges and putting together elements I really like and leaving out others I am not so keen on and hoping I make something worthy. They will be torchon, not the bedfordshire like my lesson hanky was although I was drooling over a couple of beautiful patterns in Christine Springetts lace for special occasions the other evening, <g>.
Thank you Adele and Robin for you useful replies.
Sue T

Can I ask others what sort of size they usually have the cloth centre. My bedfordshire one seems too tiny to me.

Hi Sue:

Usually people think of the overall size they want the hanky, and subtract the width of the lace to find out the size of the middle bit. This can result in a hanky that's 90% lace, if you want a small hanky with a wide edging.

And there were different sizes depending on where you intended to stash the hanky. There are little tiny ones around 3" square, called "glove hankies", (intended to be tucked into your glove). There are huge hankies that could easily double as small table-cloths, and everything in between.

And if you get to the end and feel that your lace looks too tiny on a too-large centre, you can increase the visual impact of the lace by embroidering a border on the linen. I have a hanky that is 8 inches square overall, with a Bedfordshire edging about 1/2" wide, and that looked too narrow so I added a row of Dorset feather stitching on the linen to bring it up to about 3/4" wide.

I'm happy with the size for a purse hanky, though I think an 8" size overall could accommodate lace at least 1" wide without looking too lacey. So, then your centre would be about 6" square. If it was a little smaller it would still be useful, I think.

Adele
North Vancouver, B.C.
(west coast of Canada)