Hi Sue and Spiders All,

The principal of pulling threads is the same, be it a thicker woollen fabric, or a very fine cambric - you (very) carefully pull one thread along one side, then tack the lace to that pulled edge. You then pull threads on each side in turn, and tack the lace down, one side at a time.

When all are tacked down to your satisfaction, you can then use the three- or four-point stitch to attach the lace. Or - if you really want to horrify purists and the Lace Police, you can use a zigzag stitch on the sewing machine! I do NOT advocate this, unless one's hand-sewing leaves a lot to be desired. As I have said previously, I think it is better to have a machine to stitch the lace to the fabric if that is neater and looks better than a cobbled-together hankie where it has all puckered when the lace isn't attached very well. (I can remember seeing a hankie photograph in 'Lace' magazine, where it was not done well at all, and it really detracted from the lace itself, as well as looking awful ...) Of course, the machine sewing needs a deal of practicing before actually doing it, so it is better to practice with a piece of common-or-garden bought lace, and a piece of fabric, than to jump straight in and use the sewing machine without any previous experience...

But - once again, it is best to do whatever suits you, and looks good! Each to his/her own.

All best wishes,

Carol

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue" <hurwitz...@supanet.com>
the only things I have pulled
threads on are wool fabric for a shawl fring and obviously not the same.