I bought some men's hankies in the men's wears department of our local John Lewis..... they are 40cm square and have a self coloured stripe on the edges but I wanted one for the centre of a table mat I'd just completed.....this worked brilliantly and the self stripe didn't interfere with the pattern at all.....They cost £10 for 7 hankies.....
Celia . in a very sunny (and warm) SE London.

Sue wrote:
Reading all and I checked out the internet (good old google) and found a packet of pure white mens for an excellent price and no colour, so now I am really excited and will sort that out today. Our two mens wear shops have gone and I was thinking of one retailer where I might find them, this brought the market to my door:-)
Thanks everyone, I can now leave you in peace again.

Sue T Dorset, UK
Bobbin Lace and Glass engravings
http://www.hurwitzend.co.uk

That's fine for tatting or crochet where you attach the lace as it's
made but if you are attaching BL or any other pre-made lace to the edge
of a hankie you should always make the fabric fit the lace and not try
to make the lace fit the fabric.  ie attach lace to oversize fabric and
then make some sort of hem.

If you have an edging with corners what are the chances that a
readymade square of fabric will be exactly the right size without
easing/stretching the lace?
Brenda

If you want some nice hankies all ready to attach lace try hhtatting.com

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html