On Mar 20, 2009, at 18:20, Sue Harvey wrote:

I have been given two large wooden reels of silk thread [...] the reels are full of lovely silk thread which I cannot use because it breaks at the slightest touch, does anyone know of a way to make this thread useable again [...]

Essentially, once the silk is "rotted", it's rotted and, like with Humpty Dumpty, "all the king's horses and all the king's men...". But it may not be "rotted" all the way to the wood; the outer layer may have been exposed to nasty conditions while protecting the inner layers. Unwind the spool a bit, testing every 6 inches or so; you may come to something salvageable. And, if not... there should be still enough left -- and now in even more colourful glory -- to put on your shelf to admire :)
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/