Dear Beth

I thoroughly agree with you. Anyone learning lace must be taught how to start
and finish, they are essential parts of the process of making lace. I usually
get my students to think about starting and what to look for when they
approach a new piece, and make sure they are well aware that for some patterns
there may be several different lines along which to start, all of which may be
equally valid. I always suspect teachers who do not teach starting and
finishing. 1. As you say, they think they are keeping 'bums on seats' but the
students are being short changed. 2. They are they incapable of teaching them
because they do not understand the process properly, in which case they should
not be charging for their services.  I have always taught everything I know, I
keep nothing back; that is what a teacher is paid to do. If you are
enthusiastic and teach to a high standard you are more likely to keep students
than by short changing them. If you are a teacher and do not know the answer
to a question that comes within your remit then it is up to you to find the
answer for the student. I kew little more than my students when I started
teaching in the early 1970s, but I studied hard and did my best to keep ahead
of them. Students are surprisingly tolerant even when  you make mistakes,
providing they know you are doing your best.

Best wishes to all

Alex