<and she demonstrates things >

<so fast most of us can't see how they were done...  some students attempt >

<patterns way beyond their skills and get discouraged, others never attempt

<anything beyond the simplest torchon - and some of those never learn to
start, >

<finish or turn a simple corner unaided (those who do learn are the ones
who've>

<found a good book or two to use between classes). We've also lost a fair
few>

<beginners by the wayside (I know of at least one ex-pupil who still wants
to>

<have another go at lacemaking, but not with that teacher).>

In my many years of experience as a teacher I have learned that no two
students progress at the same rate, which makes a structured teaching plan
required by Adult Education Authorities, a complete waste of time!  Some
students will sail through this lesson plan whilst others will struggle
beyond belief.  Many want to be 'spoon fed' and I guess they feel that's
what they are paying for but will not do a single stitch between classes and
openly admit to all and sundry in the class that they have not touched their
bobbins/needle since last class, but will say weekly/monthly to the tutor
"What have you new for us to see this week/month"?  If a student is really
keen to learn, they will go home and practise and try to work out for
themselves how to do something.  This is what 'sorts the men out from the
boys' so to speak.  They can't bear to wait a whole week/month to find out
what to do next and they are the type of student who quickly moves on to
become a tutor themselves.

When a student just can't grasp how to do something ie. the diamond
formation in Venetian Gros Point, which they can follow quite clearly whilst
I am demonstrating to them and doing all the counting, I continue to work
their sample but have them sitting next to me telling ME what I should do
next.  This way, they are thinking for themselves and not following 'parrot
fashion' what I am telling them.  We get out of life what we put into it,
and if a student asks their teacher to show them how to start or finish a
piece, and she refuses to do so, for whatever reason, then they should find
another tutor.  I don't teach every type of needlelace but if a student asks
me a technique that I do not know, I openly admit this and offer to do my
best but suggest that they go to Mrs .  or Mrs . who is expert in this
particular field.  It's no use pretending otherwise because students are not
stupid and will soon realise that the teacher is not quite what they were
looking for.

Catherine Barley

Henley-on-Thames

UK