Well, it's an important distinction!! If we could have that fabulous ultra-fine linen from "way back", I'd choose that over anything else except maybe silk in some cases.

And the reason cotton is so prevalent in my list is that it (and silk) are the only choices available for fine threads (no rayon, please).

Clay