Welcome, Summer!

This is a wonderful list, and I suspect you'll enjoy it. But you've really done exactly the right thing... you've found a teacher in your area! That is really the best thing you could do in the beginning. When you meet your teacher, she (or he...) will be able to determine if the bobbin lace kit you got is something you can work with, or if it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, there is a very unsatisfactory "kit" on the market that is really unsuitable for the purpose. If you have one of these, then your teacher will be able to help you find the equipment you need.

Do keep us posted!  We love to hear how you're doing in your new art!

Clay

Summer wrote:
Hello all:)

My name is Summer,  a crafter from Grand Rapids, MI.  My first and
favorite art has been beadwork.  Recently I've felt like I've hit a
plateau, technique wise, and have decided to branch out into other
arts.  I've always had a love for fiber, and my favorite beadwork is
netting (which is a form of beaded lace), so I decided to focus on
fiber lace making.  Helpfully, I have recently inherited some
lace-making materials from my grandmother, who doesn't know the first
thing about how to use them:)  They include the double-pointed needles
and mesh shuttle for netting,  bone and metal shuttles for tatting,
and a bobbin lace kit.

I've begun to do some tatting, and have really taken a liking to it
(though I prefer the needle to the shuttle).  I've contacted a couple
local lacemaker's guilds here in West Michigan and in Lansing, and
have fortunately found someone willing to take a stab at teaching me
bobbin lace. I'm really excited about these new arts!

The more I began to search for online resources, the more this list
seemed to stand out as "the place to be".  So here I am!  I look
forward to learning with and from you all:)

Summer