Just to be clear, my comments about using these products was to remove the 
sericin from tussah silk in fabric and yarn.  In no way am I suggesting that 
one use it for bobbin lace, though I suppose it could be used to "cut the 
grease" etc., as it is stellar in removing lanolin from wool, and often dyers 
use it to remove the last of the bleed, but it is a strong cleaner.

In the US, I think that most would attest that Dawn can be fairly hard on 
hands.  

One walks the line between saying too much or not enough, but I did make sure 
to state the "cornstarch" feel and ways to clean it in reference to "fabric and 
yarn," which is the media I am most versed in.  ;-)  

Thanks to Bev, her comments are that at least some tussah silk threads made for 
bobbin lace are "sans sericin" but a "wild silk" as has been discussed from 
Africa, may not be the same case, so was hoping to offer help to Alice's query.

I was in a yarn co-op ordering from some of these cottage industries in same or 
similar areas and  purchased to be of support to the women, but the yarns were 
not the quality and they were all relegated to coarser projects such as 
felting, etc.  We are really spoiled now with yarns and even some threads, 
compared to what our mothers and grandmothers used.

HTH

Susan Reishus 


      

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to