Interesting question. I was taught to work with continental bobbins and
told that every time you pick up a bobbin you tug down on the ball, also the
way  you tension at the end of the stitch. With the continentals, you even
want the  balls to be in about the same place because you can tension several
with the  palm of your hand in one movement.

Consequently, when I work with English bobbins, I tend to pick one up and
tug off the spangle. However, my understanding is that with English bobbins,
you  tension by picking them up in your hand, or stroking them. I have
never really  become adept at working with English bobbins, and so, for me,
can
work much more  speedily with continentals that are all exactly the same.
Visually, I prefer the  look of the English bobbins, all different, on a
pillow, though. In fact, I have  an entire show case of English bobbins that
I
look at, but never use. Maybe if  you are tensioning in the English fashion,
it doesn't make a difference. I defer  to those who work with English bobbins
on this point.

Devon


In a message dated 5/22/2009 5:48:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

Do all  bobbins need to be the same weight?  IMHO I'd have thought not,
some old bobbins could have buttons on them, different weight to  glass
beads.... or would one not put bone and wood bobbins together,  or ones
with wood beads as opposed to glass.  Some ebay sellers  put plastic
beads on....  what do others  think?



**************Kick start your favorite grad’s career with mobile email for
under $50.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100122638x1221971194x1201441917/aol?redir==htt
p://www.getpeek.com/aol)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to